Beaver-ry Careful Where You Build

Odds and ends: First, shout-out to Lori for both a nice tip and a tidbit:ย When I first started the site, she had to type the full address into Google before seeing itย among Google’s suggestions. Now, she can type nottha and Google knows what she wants.

Although I think I am ranking higher in Google these days,ย Lori’s result could be attributed to Google’s method of getting to know users’ habits and responding faster as it learns. For example, Google can guess what I want after just the “n”:

Moving on, a recent post about National Beaver Day reminded reader Anyta about a story of beavers fined by the state of Michigan for building dams. According to Snopes, the story is true, and the exchange between the state andย the beavers’ “representative,” while a bit wordy, is amusing reading.

Happy Beaver, by stevehdc, licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

23 thoughts on “Beaver-ry Careful Where You Build

1. allein April 13, 2016 / 7:14 pm

Yeah, I just have to type “n” at this point. Though I usually just get here from email notifications.

If that happened today, I bet the beavers would start a GoFundMe page to raise the fine money.

2. Lori April 13, 2016 / 7:36 pm

No, it’s not just me, it’s global Google recognition! (I know because I tried on a bunch of other people’s computers.)

Richly deserved, I say.

• Kar April 14, 2016 / 12:26 am

It was a great letter up until the bear comment, then it toppled over the line to snark.

And boo hiss on the neighbor for killing the beavers!!

Anyone else remember when Washington DC was on high alert for three domestic agitators spotted around the Tidal Basin? It was right before the Cherry Blossom Festival and caused an international furor.

• Laura April 14, 2016 / 1:30 am

Oh, I remember that, Kar! And the Park Service, thinking there was only a pair at first, were so proud of themselves for catching them and relocating them to prevent further cherry trees being cut down — until the very next night, when they discovered Junior had been there all along, too, and took down another couple of trees! That was hilarious — US Government 0, Beavers a whole bunch! ๐Ÿ˜€

3. dubravkamcvmd April 13, 2016 / 8:01 pm

From my cold dead paws. If only! Wasn’t there a TV show or a movie where animals rose up? Sigh.

4. Lurkingduck April 13, 2016 / 8:36 pm

Mike, I started typing the site name, and I was offered “Nottingham”, “Notting Hill” and “Nottawasaga Inn”. Wonder where it thinks I live?
    And just out of curiosity, why on earth would Google offer you suggestions three and four? What sort of things DO you look up? Or should we remain ignorant?

• Catwhisperer April 14, 2016 / 11:52 am

And the “option” that goes with no. 5!

5. Julie April 13, 2016 / 9:52 pm

A post from December popped up in my FB feed and I think you should re-post it NOMTOM, because it is SO GOOD!!!

It is: Thank You Veddy Much

• Not That Mike The Other Mike April 13, 2016 / 9:57 pm

I did that! I put the post in your FB feed. I’ve been posting links to past articles as a benefit to new FB followers who might have missed them. Maybe at the end of the year I should do a retrospective of popular posts here.

• Gigi_the cat lady April 14, 2016 / 8:57 am

I vote yes on that!

6. Murray April 13, 2016 / 9:52 pm

Beavers are such Dickensian characters! I love his little hands -there needs to be a little cap in them.

• Smartypants April 14, 2016 / 6:18 am

“Please sir, may I have some more…of your tasty trees?”

• Haha April 14, 2016 / 9:02 am

If minds are great when they think alike, does that make me a smartypants? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Murray April 14, 2016 / 9:31 am

• Smartypants April 14, 2016 / 3:56 pm

– Snerk- that is awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Faye April 14, 2016 / 4:36 am

Once I got to notha my google gave me “not that mike the other mike” OR notthatkindofgirl. Ironic. Tough choice.

8. Gigi_the cat lady April 14, 2016 / 9:04 am

I came back this morning to see if there was a new post and re-read this one but for some reason Instead of ” Now, she can type nottha and Google knows what she wants.”
    I read : Now, she can type mothra and Google knows what she wants. LOL!